Bidaai is an Indian soap on STAR Plus. The emotionally charged drama tells the story of the beautiful and motherless ‘Sadhna’, played by sara khan.
Only 17 years old, Sadhna has been raised in the home of her maternal uncle and aunt, while her father, ‘Kishenchand’ earns enough money in America to fulfill Sadhna’s dead mother’s dream which is to see Sadhna married.
Beauty is more than skin deep…
Bidaai is a story of two sisters, Sadhna (beautiful) and Ragini (unattractive). Sadhna is the adopted child in the family.
Life is pleasant for Sadhna as she is beautiful but society is a bit rude and harsh on Ragini, who faces a lot more challenges because she is not good-looking.
Both the sisters love each other immensely and are good natured but society’s approach towards them makes Sadhna’s life difficult as her mother starts differentiating between them. Sadhna is treated like a step-daughter in the house and feels punished for her good looks but Ragini loves her unconditionally.
All-in-all, the story is about these two sisters whose \’looks\’ determine their happiness. This unique story embarks the journey of two sisters and makes one question the belief – “Are beautiful people happier than ugly Bettys?”
A middle class average man who lives in a small city, Agra. He is a writer by profession and is happily married to his wife Kaushalya. He has two kids, a son and a daughter but along with them his niece also stays with him. He always lived his life with pride and honesty and never did anything which could hurt his self-esteem. However, whenever required he always went out of the way to help irrespective of whom it was. Altogether he is a man who lived his life with dignity and expected his children to do the same.
• A very simple average looking man of a middle class family.
• Age is in 50’s and generally wears kurta paijama.
• A very down to earth, decent and sensible man.
• A man with values, self esteem and rules. The biggest asset of his life is his self-respect.
• A soft hearted person who loves his family the most. Always supported them and tried his level best to keep them happy.
• Altogether he is the sweetest husband and father one could get.
• A writer by profession he lives in a small city called Agra in U.P.
• He leads a happily married life though he is not that financially sound.
A middle-class simple woman who loves her husband and children. She always follows the values set by her husband Prakashchand Sharma. Because of her dark complexion she faced a lot of problems due to which she is very concerned about her daughter Ragini who inherited her complexion. She is very protective about her kids and is close to her mother who stays near by.
• A middle-class simple looking woman in the age of late 40’s.
• Has dark complexion which stayed as the biggest bane in her life.
• Generally wears saree with pallu on her head and adorns herself completely like a Hindu wife with sindoor, bindi etc.
• Sweet and simple with no attitude or arrogance.
• Soft at heart and very kind yet mean when it comes to her kids especially daughter.
• Can do anything for the happiness of her family.
• Housewife happily married to Sharmaji.
• Belongs to UP and shares everything with her mother who stays near her house.
A young girl in the age of 20’s. Very sweet, lively yet simple small city girl. Loves her parents and family the most and cannot even think of hurting them or going against their values. Has a dream to love and marry like any other girl but her complexion became the biggest bane in her life. She is very close to her cousin, Sadhna, who has lived with her since childhood. Throughout her life she is compared to Sadhna, who is very beautiful.
• Very ordinary girl with dark complexion and average features.
• In the age of 20’s and wears mostly salwar suit.
• Very soft and kind hearted.
• Have qualities that anyone can fall in love with but her complexion always puts her down.
• Very sensible and intelligent. She is also very intelligent.
• Belongs to a middle class small city Hindu family.
• Lives with her parents and brother. Is very close to Sadhna, who is now married.
• Is very good in dance and performs at state-level. Very intelligent in academics.
She is a very good looking and charming girl in the age of 20’s. She is not only good in appearance but also very sweet at heart. Her mother died when she was a kid and her father went abroad to earn because of which she stayed with her mama, Prakashchand. She loves her mama, mami and cousin and can do anything for them. Even when her mami, Kaushalya, hates her for her beauty, she still gives love in return. She was always compared with Ragini and was appreciated for her beauty.
• She is a fair and beautiful girl who is very simple and generally wears salwar suit.
• Has long hair, nice features and everything a man wants in his wife.
• Very emotional and kind at heart.
• Loves her family and can do anything for them.
• She has imbibed all the values from her mama and can never go against them
• Wants to see her sister Ragini, married and happy in life.
• Her mother died when she was a kid and her father went to America for a living.
• After years when her father was coming back to meet her, he died in a plane accident.
• She stayed with her mama and mami throughout her life and was very close to them.
• She is now married in Rajvansh family only for the sake of her sister and loves her husband Alekh, who is mentally retarded.
He is in the age of 20’s but behaves like a kid because he is mentally retarded. He belongs to the richest family in Agra, the Rajvansh. He loves his aunt, Choti Maa, who actually takes care of him and hates his mother Vasu, for some reasons. He is frightened of police and crackers noises. He loves his wife Sadhna, who now wants to improve his condition. He is the heart of his family and is loved by most of the people there.
• He is a good looking man in the age of 20’s.
• Generally wears pant and shirts and looks very normal in the very first go.
• Due to his illness he behaves like a 5yr kid and walks, talks in that sense.
• Very innocent and sweet at heart just like a kid.
• He likes people who are simple and sweet.
• Though he lacks behind from other in many ways, yet he has a fully developed brain and can teach many a big lesson.
• His hobby is to paint and read.
• As a kid he loved his grandfather after whose death he became mentally retarded.
• He now hates his mother and is very close to his choti maa and wife.
Young, handsome guy who studied in America and is now back in his family. He is a heart throb and a man whom every girl would want in her life. He is very close to his brother Alekh and his wife Sadhna. He always wanted a beautiful girl in her life but falls for the inner beauty of Ragini and now wants to marry her. He is very lively and an honest man.
• A handsome good-looking boy, who has just retuned from America.
• He is very smart, stylish and in the age of 20’s.
• He is very sweet, down to earth and kind person.
• Though he has returned from America, he has no attitude at all.
• He lives life with honesty and always supports the truth.
• He belongs to the richest family of Agra, the Rajvansh and is the son of Vasundhra and Indrajeet Rajvansh.
• Completed his studies in America and has now returned to Agra to join his father in family business.
• He is the favorite of his mother and is very close to her.
Belonging to the richest family in Agra, she is commonly known as Vasu. This woman has all the attitude and style one could get from the wealth. She is the chief head of the family and is very dominating. Even her husband Indrajeet can say nothing. She is the sole controller of the family and has the authority to decide what will happen and what will not. She loves her son Alekh and Ranvir and wants to do everything to keep them happy but at the same time she wants to maintain her reputation in the society and is very concerned of her status.
• She is a fair good-looking woman in the age of late 40’s.
• She is very stylish and maintains her status when it comes to dressing and adorning.
• Generally wears saree’s with matching jewellery and a bun on the head.
• She has a lot of attitude and arrogance in her.
• She is very strong headed and dominates everyone.
• She cannot be controlled by anyone and is very concerned of her level in the society.
He is a rich business man married to Vasundhra. He is completely opposite to Vasundhra and always gives up when it comes to argue with her. He doesn’t possess attitude and arrogance and is more sensible than Vasu.
• He is a tall handsome man in the age of 50’s.
• A rich business man who dresses very smartly in coats and pant.
• Very normal and kind hearted man with no pride of money.
• He thinks very practically and is very concerned for his family.
• Wants to see everyone happy and behaves more logically.
• Belongs to the richest family and is the eldest son.
• All the business is under his control but the final call is taken by Vasu.
• Is very happy with his family but he doesn’t share a good relationship with Vasu as both think in different ways.
Younger brother of Indrajeet, he is the sweetest person in the family. For some reason he is not a part of the business and stays mostly at home. He loves his family and is very close to Vasu’s kids, who are mainly brought up by him and his wife.
• Very simple, average looking man.
• Generally wears Kurta and pajama.
• Very soft and down to earth person.
• Is very emotional and hardly says anything in the house.
• The younger son in the family he has always been under looked by Indrajeet and Vasu.
• He hardly holds any authority in the house and so is the case with his wife.
• His son Naveen is a part of the business and is struggling to take it in his hands.
A very sweet simple woman who is very emotional and is always dominated by Vasu. She always agrees to what Vasu has to say and cannot pin point anything. A very loving person, she actually took care of Vasu’s kids since childhood, even more than his own son.
• Very normal and average looking woman with dark complexion.
• Has a very sweet smile on her face throughout.
• Very kind hearted and soft spoken lady.
• Has love for everyone and is very concerned about his family.
• He is the sweetest person in the Rajvansh house.
• Is happily married to her husband but is pained as they have never got respect and any reputation in the family.
A smart young man who is always jealous of Ranvir because he couldn’t get the Rajvansh business. Though he is working in the business yet he is not a part of it and therefore has a grey shade to his character. He always attempts to takeover the business and earns more money.
• Young, tall, handsome man who is smartly dressed in coat and pants.
• Is very cunning and always scheming how to take over the business.
• He has done a lot of forgery only to get more money and is trying hard for it.
• His wife is also a partner in crime and both upset why their parents have no control in the house.
• Son of Satyendra and Ambika, he is always upset because he never got so much attention and love from his parents as was given to Alekh and Ranvir.
• Is settled in the business but craves for more money.
She is smart good-looking woman who is happily married to Naveen. With a lot of attitude and arrogance of money she has always stayed close to Vasu to become her favorite. She possesses a lot of characteristics similar to Vasu and is not concerned about her in-laws.
• Smart, good-looking woman who looks very rich from her clothes and jewellery.
• Wears mostly sarees with matching jewellery.
Behavior Characteristics :
• Has a lot of attitude and style.
• Tries to put other down and copies Vasu in her behavior.
• Loves her husband and is always a partner in crime.
• Happily married to Naveen she has two kids Gunni and pratham who study in boarding school.
Prakashchand Sharma’s son, he is in the age of early 30’s and earns very average. He is like any common man who goes to office for some earning and comes back home to his wife and parents. He loves his parents a lot and respects them the most. Though he also loves his wife who is always suggesting him ways to earn more money, he abides by the values set by his father. He is disappointed because he cannot provide happiness to his parents and wife and get them what they want.
• A very average looking man in the age of 30’s, who wears pant and shirts.
Behavior characteristics :
• Very simple and straight person who is satisfied with the way of his living.
• Always tried hard to keep his family happy and respects his parents the most.
• Born in the Sharma family, he imbibes the ethics and values of his father.
• He works in the finance department and is very honest to his job.
• Is very happy with his family.
She is a comic character , very mean and thinks only about herself. She always wanted to be rich and is disappointed with her husband who is not able to do so. She always dreams big and pretends to be very rich and happy. Married to Vineet she also loves him a lot and wants to stay away from his parents in a nuclear family. Her pet word is “jhoot to mai bolti nahi”. She schemes a lot but always lands up making fun of herself.
• In the age of 20’s, she is a very typical bahu who wears saree and adorns herself with bindi, sindoor and ornaments.
• Very mean and selfish.
• She is always concerned of her own profit and can go to any extent to achieve it.
• Her main aim in life is to be rich and live a luxurious life with all the comforts.
• Married to Vineet she has no kinds as yet and does not like her in laws.
• She wants to stay in a nuclear family so that she can save more money and can do what she wants.
She is Kaushalya’s mother and stays very close to her. She is the only one with whom Kaushalya shares her thoughts and worries. She is very concerned about her daughter and her kid’s happiness and always suggests ideas to achieve it. She is like a typical nani with an old mentality.
• She is in the age of 70’s and wears sarees with a pallu on her head.
• Very simple and sober in her look.
• Very mean and concerned about her daughters happiness.
• She always suggests her ways how to keep her family happy away from all the worries.
• Lives alone very close to her daughter’s house.
• The only one left for her is Kaushalya and so she is always seen with her as a part of the family.