The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) last week viewed two of the most awaited films of the year — Rohit Dhawan’s debut film “Desi Boyz” and Milan Luthria’s “The Dirty Picture”. They were passed with an ‘Adults Only’ certificate, and the latter has suffered one minor cut.
Rohit, whose dad David Dhawan has apparently never got an A-rating in his entire career as a filmmaker, is dismayed at his maiden film being tagged as adult fare.
“I’m extremely disappointed and saddened by the censors’ verdict. I’ve made a positive feel-good film. I think it’ll go down as the cleanest ‘A’ certified film ever,” he said.
Starring Akshay Kumar and John Abraham, the film is about two jobless guys who become male strippers to earn money. It is releasing Friday.
However, a senior filmmaker on condition of anonymity, said: “With due respects to David Dhawan, we all wish his son well as a second-generation filmmaker. But the film is about male escorts, and that is adult content. Period. Anywhere in the world males escorts are subjects for adult contemplation.”
Apparently, CBFC regional officer J.P. Singh firmly turned down Rohit’s request for a UA certificate. Rohit felt an ‘A’ certificate would curtail his potential audience-profile drastically.
To this the senior filmmaker reacted: “The RO was right in giving the film an ‘A’ certificate. Adult content must be treated accordingly. As for the film losing out on the younger audience, ‘Delhi Belly’ and ‘No One Killed Jessica’ were hits despite being certified as ‘Adults Only’ films.
“The censor board works under extreme pressures of time and rules. Full marks to Mr Singh for maintaining an equilibrium between the requirements of filmmakers and the basic codes of public morality.”
The spokesperson for film’s producers said cautiously: “Eros Entertainment respects the censor decision and they have described it as a ‘coming of age’ film.”
Vidya Balan-starrer “The Dirty Picture” chronicles the life of a sex symbol and it is coming out Dec 2.