Year 2008 saw its own sets of ups and down in the Bollywood. The year started with hits like Jannat, Race, Singh is Kinng and then slowed down with series of flops. And when all the big pundits were counting the loss on the industry, Dostana & Fashion gave the much deserved boost and now “Rab ne Bana De Jodi” is set to break the DDLJ opening records. Some notable performances were seen from Imran Khan in “Jaane Tu..”, Farhan Akhtar and Arjun Rampal in “Rock on” and Hrithik Roshan in “Jodhaa Akbar”. Priyanka Chopra picked her hit with Dostana & Fashion after series of Flops. Movies on Terror also received huge acclaim – “A Wednesday” and “Mumbai Meri Jaan” both dealing with lifes of common man affected by the terror attacks in the country. And as we close down, the much awaited movie is ready for release – GHAJINI! As usual Aamir is in different style and though the story is not too different, execution promises you to deliver the BEST of the Year!
BlockBuster Hits during this year:
1. Jannat: Emraan Hashmi – Mahesh Bhatt combo strikes again. New face Sonal Chauhan — Sans acting but attractive. The movie was a big hit oustside India including South East Asia where the movie was shot extensively.
2. Race: Abbas Mustan hit the audience target by creating series of mysteries, exotic locales, babes like Katrina & Bips.Saif and Akshay khanna’s acting appreciated. The song “Pehli Nazaar…” by Atif was one of the best song of the year. Anil Kapoor and Sameera Reddy did remarkable performances too!
3. Bachna Ae Haseeno — Ranbir’s second movie — Typical Yash Raj romance, Nice songs and locales, Bips as hot as ever. Saw Ranbir and Deepika in reel life romance. Was a boost for Ranbir, whose Saawariya flopped despite good work.
4. Singh is King — Akshay’s yet another comedy and hit on his cap. Katrina still rocks with sans Hindi diction, nice hilarious time pass. This is the seventh hit in a row by Akshay and he remains to be the bigger grosser of the year. Also Akki-Kat pair continues to be the HIT PAIR!
5. Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na — Promising debutant, Imran Khan and Genelia is noticed after 2 of her earlier films. Typical college romance but was liked by audience for great acting skills from the stars and Naseeruddin shah and Ratna Pathak. Aamir Khan execution meant a success. Good start by Imran Khan!
6. Rock On – Amazing debut from the director turn actor Farhan Akhtar. Arjun Rampal proved his acting skills.. Nice melodramatic and musical story. A must watch for all youngsters. Farhan also sang all the songs in the movie, that revived ROCK MUSIC in Hindi Cinema.
7. Fashion — Its all about the people in Fashion world. Glits, glamour, Cheat, Attitude, betrayal… all in all good performances by the 3 leading ladies –Priyanka, Mugdha & Kangana. A Typical Madhur Bhandarkar film that is inspired by real life activity!
8. Dostana — A thorough time pass movie with new Gay concept and hilarious riots and hungama. Great songs, Exotic Hawaii locales and hot and sexy Priyanka and John – a must watch. Finally a hit for Priyanka after continuos five flops!
9. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi – Shahrukh as always who is good at pulling audience towards him and has left no stones unturned in his latest movie. New comer Anushka — Nice actor and dancer, but what her future holds, only time can tell. in Shahrukhs’w own words – “Sau sunaar ki aur ek luhaar ki”.
10. Ghajini (predicted hit) — Aamir’s films are always waited for as this perfectionist seeker actor can never go wrong. Hence this movie is already predicted to be a hit according to audience. Also awaiting to watch the debut actress Asin’s performance. Jiah Khan’s role is highly appreciated by Aamir, so finally a good one by Jiah. Songs already a big hit.
The following are the average hits of this year:
1. Sarkar Raj – RGV failed to create the Sarkar magic, but great performances from the whole Bachhan family. Aishwariya Rai also played a pivotal role in the movie. Heard Ram Goal wants to make one more Sarkar… hmmm!
2. Jodhaa Akbar — Excellent performances and exemplary costumes and accessories, but we guess history is still boring for audience whether if its on books or theaters. But hats off to Ashutosh Gowarikar for working on a historical subject and yet creating the magic. The costumes looked awesome!
3. Kismat Konnection — People had high hopes on the newly talked on couple Shahid and Vidya, but I guess they failed to create the that magic on screen, Guess people have now realized that more than Kismat its now hardwork that clicks the connections. This was Aziz Mirza work after 7 years (Last bein Phir bhi Dil Hain Hindustani…).
4. Yuvraaj – Again, people expected a lot from this movie, first for the interesting star cast, for the money spent on it, songs that were amazing. But the storyline destroyed the film. Mukta Art banner and AR Rahmaan music could not help get some good audience for the movie.
This year we had some non-commercial movies that became a hit and was very well acclaimed.
3. A Wednesday – Suberb direction, acting by Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher is commendable. Clean India from terrorists – and if politican or police cannot do it, comman man will do it. What a film, A MUST WATCH!
5. Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye — Another small budget movie but excellent direction and acting by Abhey deol and Paresh rawal. This guy (Abhey) if hits the right chord can reach stardom fast. Big Star Cast is not needed for a good movie, this movie proved it!
6. De Taali – Was an average movie but was highly acclaimed for the direction. The 3 friends in this movie can be related to any common man who would had his college days. (But we guess we already had Dil Chahte hai), hence people didn’t prefer this much.
The following movies were predicted to be a hit but bombed at box office:
2. Bhoothnath — We guess people cant take Amitabh in some roles anymore. Juhi’s acting and the child’s acting was good but could not create much magic on screen. Guess the script was too weak for 2.5 hrs worth time!
4. Drona -- We just do not understand on what basis Goldie Behl the director planned to waste his crores of rupees on this baseless movie. And acting wise, we guess Priyanka would have been a better drona as she was the one who was jumping all the while in the movie. Was the biggest disaster of the year. Poor Priyanka!
7. Karzzz — We hope Himesh learns soon that there are just few things a man can master, one cant be master of all trades. Further, remakes have not worked great and who wants to make remake of legends of Subhash Ghai, Rishi Kapoor, Simi Grewal and the musicl magic of Laxmikant Pyarelal. Failed miserably.
9. Phoonk -- Another RGV’s creativity that went to ashes. The promos promised a hell lot but alas!! Commendable point — the child’s acting. Lot of nonsense were marketed though about the insensity of horror, but again public are getting wiser.
10. Roadside Romeo — Jugal Hansraj — what to say about the man who thought an animated movie with Saif and Kareen’s voice would do magic. We guess instead of animated series if he had made a real movie with the same pair, it would have been a sure hit.
11. Tashan – We fail to understand on what basis the biggest stars of bollywood agreed to do this movie? One movie that people would regret for going to theaters. Guess even Yashji wasn’t happy with this movie script, hmmm Adi listen to dad please!
12. Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic — There was nothing good except Amisha’s slim and curvy body show to talk in this movie. Rani sucked in the 80 yr old nanny costume throughout the movie. Another disaster by Rani!
14. Love Story 2050 — Yet another much awaited movie which was promised to have exemplary graphic work and great story line. But we guess it was not all that bad either. Many children liked the graphics. Priyanka in red hair was a big NO NO. Harman Baweja needs a Hrithink look alike break soon.
15. Kidnap – After Jaane tu… Expectations from Imraan were more and he didn’t disappoint the audience acting wise, but poor storyline caused problems. Even Minnisha’s bikini didn’t make lot of difference.
The following movies were a total washed out on the box office:
1. Black N White – Nice story line on terrorists and suicide bombers but was poorly directed and presented and hence didn’t catch much audience.
2. Bombay to Bangkok – Shreyas Talpade was not able to make much impact on audience this time. We guess he was better as a commercial actor than a romantic actor.
3. C Kkompany – Ekta Kapoor is better off with her saas bahu serials. She is not only spoiling her reputation but also her brother Tushar’s career..
4. Chamku -- Bobby Deol is known for good acting and he has delivered that well in the movie but again poor story line and presented badly. Even priyanka was not able to add magic may be that’s because she had sans glamor.
5. Dil Kabaddi — A lot of confusions in a marital marriage will definitely lead to divorce. So was the movie. A lot of confusions in the movie made people to get confused. Hope the couples went with their own spouse when they left the theaters.
6. Ek Vivaah Aisa Bhi — We guess its time for Bharjatia’s to come out of their traditional marriage dramas and show some realty. Its also sad to see Isha Koppikar in such silent and behanji type role.
7. EMI — Catchy storyline but bobmed due to poor acting by one and all. Sanjay’s repeated don in all his movies sadenned the sudience.
8. God Tussi Great Ho — Another awaited movie that people thought would be nice but we guess due to poor direction, it could not make much.
9. Hari Puttar – Even children felt its not hilarious. We guess its all said in one sentence.
10. Halla Bol – Ajay Devgan failed to execute his charisma as in Yuva this time.
11. Heroes -- Was not much recognized because of poor promotions.
12. Hijack – Nice acting by Shiney Ahuja, poor direction. and there was absolutely no need of Esha in the movie.
13. Jimmy – Worthless acting by Mimoh. He should learn something from his father.
14. Kaashh… Mere Hote! – After a lot of struggle Ash look alike Sneha Ullal managed to get a movie but audience failed to recognize her.
15. Maan Gaye Mughal-E-Azam — Nice movie but if it was executed in a much clear manner would have been a hit.
16. Mission Istanbul — Went unnoticed as yet another Cop -thief thing.
17. Money Hai Toh Honey Hai — Again went unnoticed. Hansika is too young for bollywood.
18. Mr.Black Mr.White — We guess this movie was made in 1947 but was released in 2008.
19. My Name is Anthony Gonsalves — Nice acting by Amrita (nice to see her in minis) but was not promising story to hold the audience. Debut actor Nikhil failed to atract audience.
20. One Two Three — All comedies do not become hit and this is one such movie.
21. Rama Rama Kya Hai Drama — All actors, director, writer all went unnoticed.
22. Saas Bahu Aur Sensex — Catchy story line but it missed the right sense to hold the audience.
23. Sorry Bhai – I guess India has not reached to a level where guys have to fear to make their fiancee meet their brothers.
24. Ugly Aur Pagli — Too much of bossism sucks people and hence the movie also sucked.
25. Via Darjeeling -- Another unnoticed movie.
26. Woodstock Villa — It failed to make people fear. It just made them laugh.
27. 1920 -- Same goes with this movie. The magic of Raaz couldn’t be recreated.
28. Khalbali – Fun Unlimited — The producer has proudly announced 5 lack for the one who would come out of theater without laughing. Hopefully the producer doesn’t have to cry for this in future.
29. Superstar – The superstar Kunal Khemu of Kalyug fame failed to impress people this time.
30. Sunday — Poor plot, acting, direction. All in all poor in everything.
31. The Last Lear — Nice story, nice acting but somehow it didn’t impress people. Guess people are interested in masalas rather than serous drama.
Movies that never hit the theaters (or at least we didn’t hear of them)
3. Chal Chala Chal
4. Cheenti Cheenti Bang Bang
6. Desh Drohi
7. Don Muthuswami
9. Hum Phirr Milein Na Milein
10. Khuda Kay Liye
12. Raat Gayi, Baat Gayi?
13. Ru ba ru
15. Toonpur Ka Superhero