After 58 hours of ordeal, finally NSG Commandos were able to get Hotel Taj Mahal free from the terrorists. However huge black smoke is bellowing from the ground and first floor of the hotel, which sends signal that terrorists might have tried to cause maximum damage before submitting themselves to the confident and powerful Indian Commandos.
It all started on November 26 2008 night at around 9:30 PM IST time and since then Hotel Taj along with Hotel Oberoi and Hotel Trident was under the attack of the terrorists armed with AK-47s and Grenades. After the successful operations at Oberoi-Trident hotel and Nariman House late on Friday 28 November 2008, the Taj hotel remains the only concern for the NSG, which is conducting one of its biggest counter-terror offensives.
Two terrorists were killed yesterday and Two terrorists were killed today. The actual casualties will be known after full assessment of the Hotel Taj, which is under fire now, though the fire is said to be under control.
Earlier fresh explosions were heard and intense gunfire continued at the besieged Taj hotel as NSG commandos engaged in what is believed to be their final assault to flush out the militants. Media personnel stationed outside Taj hotel asked to step back as skirmish between terrorists and security forces reaches last stage.
Five large explosions were heard from inside Taj Mahal hotel’s heritage building early on Saturday followed by intense gunfire between NSG commandos and the terrorists holed-up in the complex.
“They (terrorists) are changing their positions. We have to also, on the spot, try and change our tactics, strategies,” Director General of NSG J K Dutt said when asked about the Taj siege where militants are still holed up.
“From the intensity of the firing and different area they have occupied, I would say there would be two or three of them,” he said.
The NSG chief said the final picture will emerge only after the final operation is over and the checking of the room is complete.