Yes, you heard it right, yet quite unfortunate. Eating lots of pastries made Saurav Sabbarwal 22 in an MNC,Gurgaon loose his life.
Saurav Sabbarwal was working as solutions engineer with Nokia Siemens Networking. At lunch hour, there was a pastry eating competition and while competing, Saurav stuffed lots of pastries into his mouth. After sometime, he suddenly fell ill and went to toilet. His friends went in search of him when he did not return for quite a long time. They found him unconscious in the toilet.
They saw that his breath had stopped in the toilet itself, but making a chance, they bought him to Max Hospital, Gurgaon. The medical advisor Dr Sushum Sharma said “Food had entered Saurav’s windpipe which caused the death.” He further added “Saurav had stuffed himself with so many pastries so fast that his windpipe was choked. In fact, when we put him on the resuscitation machine, foodstuff was coming out of the windpipe. There was no way air could have passed through to his lungs,”.
An FIR has been lodged under Section 174 of CrPC (unnatural death) and police said a postmortem will be conducted on Wednesday morning.
Saurav, a resident of Patparganj in east Delhi, was taking part in the pastry competition at the office cafeteria. Saurav’s father, R K Sabbarwal, who works as a manager at Punjab National Bank, Rajendra Park, Delhi, was inconsolable with grief.
It’s not clear whether it was an informal bet among colleagues or an eating competition organized by the company. Officials from Nokia Siemens Networking company refused to speak on the incident while police said they were investigating the angle.
Saurav’s father, Mr. Sabbarwal further added that “My son was such a lively and fun-loving boy. He had joined this company only in June this year. In the afternoon, when I got a call that he is no more, I almost passed out. My world has come to an end. He also alleged that it was carelessness on part of the company which led to the tragic death.
Children of this generation do not understand the value of life. They think its a dare act to show off before friends by doing an impossible task. But any daring task is not worth one’s life.
We are yet to see if the company is somewhere responsible for this competition, or was it a careless act from the techie that costed him his life. The truth is yet to come before us.