Jolie says she and several of her Serbian cast members have been targeted since the film’s premiere in the city Tuesday, reports guardian.co.uk.
“There were things sent to me, there were things posted online. The cast… have never complained to me about these threats but I’ve heard through other people it was happening… one of them did have their windows smashed in on their cars and someone else had an issue when their phone was hacked and emails were sent out saying they were from them and saying they had been hurt. It was a scary thought that someone was thinking along those lines,” said Jolie.
The 36-year-old fears her movie, about a romance between a Serbian soldier and a Bosnian woman during the 1990s war in the region, will cause unwanted controversy in the Balkans.
She has even dropped plans to attend a premiere of the film in the Serbian capital, Belgrade.
“The physical threats are not what most bothered me because I have been to so many different countries where there are different kinds of threats, being in Afghanistan and other places as an outspoken American woman.
“It was more that… with a film like this, you don’t want it to be used as a tool… especially in an election year, where people are deciding to label it without having seen it, and try to incite aggression and violence,” she added.